Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sing a Song

I know I am the only person in the world who feels like screaming (and often time does) at my children to get them to listen. I have discovered something that helps, if I can keep my cool long enough to remember it... I sing.
When I just want to scream out "HARRISON!!!" I turn it into an opera song. It's amazing how they respond to my silly songs and it's a great release for me.
I discovered this while teaching preschool (no worries, I only scream at MY children during preschool. ha ha). I sing "Here We are Together" while transitioning from one activity to another. If they are having a hard time following directions I will add some directions into the song. For example, "Here we are together, together, together. Oh here we are together in our preschool class. Please sit down on your bottoms and keep your hands to yourselves. Oh here we are together in our preschool class."
Most of the time I will make up my own random tune and sometimes I will use songs they are familiar with like Dora or Backyardigans. I don't know why but these silly songs sometimes save me from a lot of anger and it makes my kids listen.

So next time you want to scream, just sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment